Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Dear John,"

I drove home to Winchester to spend the rest of the holiday weekend with my family. My mother and I thought it would be a great idea to watch the movie "Dear John" together because we've both been dying to see it for awhile now. Well, that might have been the worst idea we've ever had. "Dear John" wasn't just sad, it was literally heartbreaking and we both felt physical pain after the ending credits rolled across the television screen. My mother actually said (through sobs), "I don't know how to recover from this movie!".

"Dear John" started off so light and frivolous as John, played by the sickeningly gorgeous Channing Tatum, and Savannah shared a passionate two week love affair. Then, the flood gates opened. John was shipped off to war and Savannah dumped him for a man twice her age, plagued with cancer and an autistic son. Who does that?

It didn't stop there; wounded in battle, John was recovering in a German hospital, only to be sent home because his father suffered a stroke. They shared a tender moment, which made us both immediately reach for the box of kleenex. I don't think we ever really stopped crying after that scene. The movie left us feeling shell shocked, as if we had both returned from battle as well.

After our weeping subsided (somewhat), the topic of our conversation turned to how the character, John, was such an honorable guy. Where are these guys? Are they all at war? Because if that's the case, I'm about to enlist right now!

In all seriousness, "Dear John" is a pretty good chic flick and if you're a glutton for punishment, go rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment